Enamel factory

Oulun kaupunki

An enamel factory was founded in Pikisaari in 1900. The brick building of the enamel factory with a slatted roof is almost on the shore of Rommakonselkä. The building became the property of Oulun Konepaja Ltd in 1942. In the same decade, the chimney of the factory, which served as a landmark, fell.

The building was renovated into apartments in 1995.


Pikisaari is full of industrial history


Pikisaari has a long, 400-year industrial history. Towards the 1970s, however, the industry began to wane and finally stopped altogether. The island is located next to the city center in the Oulujoki estuary and is connected by three bridges to the city center and nearby islands. In the 17th century, there was a pitch manufactorer on the island, from which the island got its name.

Nowadays, the area of ​​Pikisaari is protected and it is especially known as a craftsman and artist district. Among other things, the area is home to the Pikisaari unit of the Oulu regional college, the Oulu Architects Guild, and artists' studios and art gallery activities in the premises of the old Wool Factory.

Places in this collection