Pikisaari Bridge

Oulun kaupunki

Pikisaari was reached by water or ice until the first bridge was completed. Because of melting ice and bad weather conditions, access to the island could be impossible at times. The industrial companies Oulun Villatehdas Ltd and Oulun Konepaja Ltd, which operated on the island, decided to finance the construction of the bridge. Construction work was done in 1942-44.

The actual bridge is quite short, long embankments were built for it and the soil was obtained from the canal site of the Merikoski power plant.


Pikisaari is full of industrial history


Pikisaari has a long, 400-year industrial history. Towards the 1970s, however, the industry began to wane and finally stopped altogether. The island is located next to the city center in the Oulujoki estuary and is connected by three bridges to the city center and nearby islands. In the 17th century, there was a pitch manufactorer on the island, from which the island got its name.

Nowadays, the area of ​​Pikisaari is protected and it is especially known as a craftsman and artist district. Among other things, the area is home to the Pikisaari unit of the Oulu regional college, the Oulu Architects Guild, and artists' studios and art gallery activities in the premises of the old Wool Factory.

Places in this collection