Matila's house

Oulun kaupunki

Oulu's oldest preserved wooden house was built for customs in 1737-39 along the road leading to Liminka. At the beginning of the 19th century, the building was moved to the corner of Kirkko-ja Nummikatu and 175 years later to Pikisaari.

In 1882, former sailor Isak Matilainen moved into the building with his family, from which the name of the building was born.


Pikisaari is full of industrial history


Pikisaari has a long, 400-year industrial history. Towards the 1970s, however, the industry began to wane and finally stopped altogether. The island is located next to the city center in the Oulujoki estuary and is connected by three bridges to the city center and nearby islands. In the 17th century, there was a pitch manufactorer on the island, from which the island got its name.

Nowadays, the area of ​​Pikisaari is protected and it is especially known as a craftsman and artist district. Among other things, the area is home to the Pikisaari unit of the Oulu regional college, the Oulu Architects Guild, and artists' studios and art gallery activities in the premises of the old Wool Factory.

Places in this collection