Oulun konepaja Ltd workers' apartments

Oulun kaupunki

The two residential buildings located at the address Pikisaarentie 7 at the intersection of Pikikatu and Pikisaarentie have been the workers' apartments of Oulun Konepaja Oy. The city-side building was built as Konepaja Oy's workers' buildings in 1889. The residential and shop building located at the corner of Pikikatu was probably moved from the corner of Pakkahuoneenkatu and Isokatu in 1924-25. The yard area includes a red building.

The residential buildings with classicist style features are part of the street facade of Pikisaarentie, formed in the 19th and 20th centuries.


Pikisaari is full of industrial history


Pikisaari has a long, 400-year industrial history. Towards the 1970s, however, the industry began to wane and finally stopped altogether. The island is located next to the city center in the Oulujoki estuary and is connected by three bridges to the city center and nearby islands. In the 17th century, there was a pitch manufactorer on the island, from which the island got its name.

Nowadays, the area of ​​Pikisaari is protected and it is especially known as a craftsman and artist district. Among other things, the area is home to the Pikisaari unit of the Oulu regional college, the Oulu Architects Guild, and artists' studios and art gallery activities in the premises of the old Wool Factory.

Places in this collection