Sokeri-Jussi Tavern

Oulun kaupunki

The old log building was built after the Pikisaari fire in 1854 and it has served at least as a ship workshop. The building's focal point is an old mast. The building remained cold after the 1970s and was renovated into a restaurant in 1995.

Sokeri-Jussin Tavern is named after the CEO from Raahela. "Sokeri" means sugar in Finnish. The director and managing director of Suomen Sokeri, vuorineuvos John "Sokeri-Jussi" Grundström got his nickname after he fell into a vat of syrup. In 1939, the same managing director ordered the largest steamship produced by Oulun Konepaja Ltd, which was also named Sokeri-Jussi.

Tutustu Sokeri-Jussin Kievariin

Pikisaari is full of industrial history


Pikisaari has a long, 400-year industrial history. Towards the 1970s, however, the industry began to wane and finally stopped altogether. The island is located next to the city center in the Oulujoki estuary and is connected by three bridges to the city center and nearby islands. In the 17th century, there was a pitch manufactorer on the island, from which the island got its name.

Nowadays, the area of ​​Pikisaari is protected and it is especially known as a craftsman and artist district. Among other things, the area is home to the Pikisaari unit of the Oulu regional college, the Oulu Architects Guild, and artists' studios and art gallery activities in the premises of the old Wool Factory.

Places in this collection